Tag & Title Registration

If you have just bought a vehicle, or if you're new Tennessee resident wanting title information, please read the information below.

When titling a vehicle, applying for a license plate or transferring a plate from one vehicle to another. State law requires the applicant or owner to visit the County Clerk's office. If you can't personally transact this business a representative may be designated by notarized Power of Attorney. The Power of Attorney must identify the vehicle by make, model and identification number. A form may picked up at the County Clerk's office or clicking on the link above.

If your vehicle is new bring all papers connected with the purchase. This includes manufacturer’s statement of origin, or MSO, new car invoice from Bill of Sale  dealer, odometer statement, and loan paperwork if financed. If the vehicle was purchased from an individual, please present a properly signed title with odometer reading placed in the appropriate line and a bill of sale. If the vehicle is financed bring the loan paperwork. Vehicle purchased from individuals may require an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfer form from the seller if the sales price does not agree with the NADA vehicle value guide.

If you wish to transfer your present tag please bring your current tag or registration.

Transfers from immediate family members may be eligible for tax exemption.  You will need the Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfer form from the relative.

Please contact the County Clerk’s office in you purchase does not fall into the categories above.
To view the plates that are afford by the State of Tennessee:

Personalized Plates

To order Personalized plates please see link below.


Replacing Lost or Damaged Title
If there is not a lien on a vehicle the owner, or owners, may replace a lost or damaged motor vehicle title by visiting the County Clerk's office.

However, for the Clerk's office to issue a replacement title the vehicle record must be in the State's computer system and eligible for replacement. Also, the registered owners, when applying, must present proof of ownership and Photo ID. If a lien is recorded against the vehicle a discharge of lien must accompany the application.

Replacement titles are processed and handed across the counter once all the requirements have been met.

New Tennessee Residents
For a new resident titling a vehicle in Tennessee for the first time, bring your out of state title and the odometer reading. If there is a lien, bring a copy of the title or current registration the name, address and zip code of lien holder. You will also need to bring in proof of your Marshall County address (Tennessee issued driver's license, etc.).  If the owner of the vehicle cannot be present in the County Clerk’s office then a https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and-registration/forms.html  must accompany the paperwork.

Sales Tax Calculation for Vehicle and Boats:
Sales tax will be collected on the entire purchase price of vehicle warranty, added features, etc.) less trade-in, if any:

Sales Tax Rate: 7% state tax on the purchase price
less trade-in plus 2.75% fixed rate state sales tax
on purchase price from $1600 up to $3200 capped at $44.00
(maximum amount taxed $1600 at fixed rate is
$1600 at 2.75%) plus 2.25% county tax on first
$1600 ($36.00 cap on county sales tax) plus

Plus any additional processing fees required.